DAILY RECORD ONLINE, JUNE 13, 2019
COVERAGE FOR CHANNEL QUEST
20 things that make a man a REAL man – and it’s not what you think
- Loyalty and faithfulness top the poll, but how many of these do you cover?
Opening doors for both sexes, not getting too drunk and having a creative flair are on a list of signs of manliness in the modern age, according to UK blokes.
Researchers polled the nation on which factors constitute manliness today, with loyalty to friends coming top with 42 per cent.
Faithfulness to your partner came in second place (37 percent), while opening doors for both women and other men came third.
While traits that have long been considered manly, such as being able to change a plug (16 per cent) and being able to change a tyre (15 per cent) featured in the list of manly attributes, a host of more modern examples have also come into play.
A quarter of the men polled by TV channel Quest believe looking after themselves physically was an important aspect of manhood.
Elsewhere, more than one in 10 said not being ashamed to be a stay-at-home dad was a sign of a true man. A further 22 per cent said doing arts and crafts and sharing your hobbies and passions with your children was manly.
However, 58 per cent believe men have it easier in the modern world, while 68 per cent of women think this.
Nearly two thirds (62 per cent) believe men should be the main breadwinner, compared to 46 per cent of women.
The top 20 real man signs
- You are loyal to your friends – 42%
- You are faithful to your partner – 37%
- You open doors for both sexes – 29%
- Do your share of housework – 27%
- You are a 50/50 parent – 26%
- You know when to keep your mouth shut – 25%
- Look after yourself physically – 24%
- You are not afraid to cry – 24%
- You can change a nappy – 24%
- You discuss your emotions – 24%
- You are self-assured – 23%
- You get tipsy, not drunk – 22%
- You can cook a roast – 20%
- You are well read – 18%
- You do not get jealous – 17%
- You can wire a plug – 16%
- You can change a tyre – 15%
- You can get places without a satnav – 14%
- You would be happy to be a stay-at-home dad – 13%
- You take a baby out in a sling – 11%