SUN ONLINE, JULY 7, 2019
COVERAGE FOR MUST SEE MUSICALS
SHOW TIME: Bohemian Rhapsody, Circle of Life and Mamma Mia voted Brits most loved songs from movies
Let it Go, The Circle of Life, This is Me and Summer Lovin, have been voted some of Brits best loved songs from movies, according to a poll of the nation.
Researchers took an in depth look into our relationships with musicals and discovered we’re a song and dance crazy nation, with a massive 58 percent of us saying musicals are our favourite film genre.
Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody (31 percent) from the film of the same name topped the list of most loved songs, followed by The Lion King’s Circle Of Life (22 percent) and Mamma Mia (20 percent), followed by This Is Me from The Greatest Showman (also 20 percent).
Let it Go from the Disney blockbuster Frozen also made the definitive top 25 list, as did Under the Sea from the Little Mermaid.
The movie Mamma Mia starring Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth was based around the music of Swedish super group ABBA, and had four songs in the top 25 – Mamma Mia, Super Trouper, Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie and Voulez-Vous.
Grease starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton John had two songs make the list with Greased Lightening and Summer Lovin’ being chosen by fans.
The study was commissioned to mark the launch of the Must See Musicals promotion that celebrates musical movies new and old throughout the month of July.
The study also revealed that nearly one in ten Brits are convinced (9 percent) they are actually good enough at to STAR in a musical.
According to the data two thirds of us (63 percent) admit we make up songs about our day to day lives and situations and sing or hum them to ourselves.
In fact the average Brit will break into song six times a day, with 41 percent of us admitting we sing at work whether our colleagues like it or not.
In fact, a possibly misguided one in ten, truly believe our singing brightens our colleagues’ day.
However, six percent of those polled has been told off by their boss for belting out a tune during working hours.
And if you think that musicals are just loved by women, think again, 45 percent of men also name them as their favourite genre.
Brits favourite songs from movie musicals
- Bohemian Rhapsody (Bohemian Rhapsody) 31%
- Circle Of Life (The Lion King) 22%
- Mamma Mia (Mamma Mia) 20%
- This Is Me (The Greatest Showman) 20%
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight? (The Lion King) 19%
- Summer Lovin’ (Grease) 18%
- The Greatest Show (The Greatest Showman) 18%
- Let It Go (Frozen) 18%
- The Bear Necessities (Jungle Book) 18%
- Don’t Cry For Me Argentina (Evita) 17%
- Greased Lightning (Grease) 16%
- Super Trouper (Mamma Mia) 14%
- Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (Mamma Mia) 14%
- Time Warp (Rocky Horror Picture Show) 14%
- Singin’ In The Rain (Singin’ In The Rain) 13%
- Under The Sea (Little Mermaid) 12%
- Voulez-Vous (Mamma Mia) 11%
- Music of the Night (The Phantom Of The Opera) 10%
- Sound of Music (The Sound of Music) 10%
- Lady Marmalade (Moulin Rouge) 10%
- Climb Every Mountain (The Sound of Music) 9%
- Defying Gravity (Wicked) 9%
- Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast (live-action)) 9%
- Follow The Yellowbrick Road (The Wizard of Oz) 9%
- Do You Hear The People Sing (Les Miserables) 9%