YAHOO NEWS, JANUARY 8, 2020
COVERAGE FOR RAISIN UK SAVINGS MARKETPLACE
How many things on this 50 before 50 bucket list have you achieved?
What should you achieve before turning 50?
A nationwide survey has revealed what Brits consider the most important things to achieve before you’ve lived for half a century.
For the research, which was conducted by Raisin UK Savings Marketplace, some 1,500 respondents over the age of 50 were provided with a list of 80 achievements and asked to tick however many they agreed were their biggest achievements.
The most important is to have a loving marriage, according to respondents, with 36% ranking this as among their key achievement by the age of 50.
The next most voted for was having a retirement in plan (28%), learning how to say “no” (27%), and having two holidays a year (26%)
Having children came fifth place – with 25% of respondents ranking this as among their most important achievements before 50, while owning a house of their dreams was ticked by 21% of respondents.
Owning a sports cars was also important to 9% of respondents, while curiously some 5% added “meet up with an ex”.
Other achievements included travel – with 13% said visiting Niagara Falls, and 9% said driving across America on the famous Route 66 – and learning to get by in another language (14%).
The list also reflected a fair few goals more commonly associated with a free-spirited adolescence and early adulthood: skinny dipping (6%), smoking cannabis in Amsterdam (4%) and going to a festival (6%).
Here is the list in full:
50 before 50: A bucket list
- Have a happy marriage / relationship 36%
- Have a retirement plan in place 28%
- Learn how to say “no” 27%
- Have two holidays a year 26%
- To have had children 25%
- To feel happy with your body 22%
- To have been on a luxury holiday of a lifetime 21%
- Own the house of your dreams 21%
- See the Northern Lights 20%
- Welcome your first grandchild into the world 19%
- Pay off your loans / be debt free 18%
- Have a driveway 18%
- Have enough spare cash to treat yourself 17%
- Have savings in the bank 15%
- Get back in touch in touch with an old friend 15%
- Be a proficient gardener 15%
- See your child get married 14%
- Learn to get by in another language 14%
- Enjoy your own company 13%
- Have time for reading 13%
- Make a million pounds 13%
- Visit Niagara Falls 13%
- Forgive someone who upset you 12%
- Watch the sunrise on a deserted beach 12%
- Live abroad for a year 11%
- Fly first class 11%
- Swim with dolphins 10%
- Own your own company 9%
- Be in your dream career 9%
- Own a sports car 9%
- Drive across America on Route 66 9%
- Go on a safari 8%
- Learn to play an instrument 8%
- Walk along the Great Wall of China 8%
- Volunteer for a charity 7%
- Own at least an acre of land 7%
- Pen a novel 7%
- Walk my daughter down the aisle 7%
- Stay up all night 7%
- Throw a big 50th birthday bash 6%
- Have a walk-in wardrobe 6%
- Visit a vineyard 6%
- Go to a festival 6%
- Go skinny dipping 6%
- Meet up with an ex 5%
- Eat at a Michelin star restaurant 5%
- Own a four-wheel-drive 5%
- Do something that scares you 5%
- Write a love letter to someone 4%
- Smoke Cannabis in Amsterdam 4%